Friday, March 26, 2021

Research & Write: Image Critique


1. 

Photo taken in Romania on a train
By Henri Cartier-Bresson
Image borrowed from Magnum Photos

I picked this image because the composition stood out to me. The way they are laying and the expressions on their face is what interested me. This image also reminded me of vacations or trips I took when I was younger where there were late nights at airports or long car rides home. I get the same vibe from this photo and the feeling of exhaustion and just wanting to fall asleep after a long day. 

This photo has many things about it that make it great. First, I would like to point out the reflection on the dark window to the right of the photo. You are able to see a reflection of the man. Next, all the type of lines that are in the photo are leading my eyes across the photo and back to the two people sleeping. For example, the frame around the window pointing to the man, or the lines on the curtains and back of the seat moving my eye across the image. There is also an asymmetrical balance within the photo's composition. A type of triangle shape is created from the way the two people are sitting, as well as smaller triangles in their arms and the legs of the man. The point of view is at the level of the subject as if the photographer is sitting across from them, making the viewer on their level. I also noticed the shadows working very well to bring out the wrinkles in the clothing and curtains. 

The overall mood given off by the image is one that makes the viewer feel their exhaustion. There is a calming or quiet mood as well. When you look into this photo you can imagine hearing the sound of the train moving and the quiet chatters, if any, speaking softly throughout the train. 


2.

Photo taken in Barcelona, Spain
By Henri Cartier-Bresson
Image borrowed from Magnum Photos 












No comments:

Post a Comment